Skip to main content

Pre-Race Nutrition, Carb Flush & Load, Working it all out!

I am 6 days to race day- my 2nd Half Marathon of the year and I have been training steadily. Ambitious for a modest PB I am trying to be systematic and have all of my elements in place- a formula for success. What does this encompass?

  1. Sport Specific Training: I have been running consistently since September- 9 months. My distances slowly increased. Although there are weeks when I am only running 1-2x/week (work gets in the way) the extra months of training offset it. I have trained pace with tempo/hills, steady runs and LSD's. I have logged about 500K in the past 9 months and I feel ready for another 21.1.
  2. Cross Training: I have been disciplined with dedicated strength & plyometric workouts during my run training. With focus on core and hips, I am working steadily to build stronger muscles where it will help my running the most. The plyo also has increased my speed and performance at the onset of any run. I have also been stretching diligently to offset aches, pains, tightness and subsequent imbalances. 
  3. Run Form: I have been refining my form with the lean, pelvic alignment, thorax rotation, breath control and all of those elements working together in the dynamic movement of running.
  4. Nutrition: I struggle with sticking to food plans and am inclined to under consume daily caloric requirements. I have increased my focus and consistency with protein, adding more legumes, eggs, dairy & fish to my pseudo-vegetarian food plan. I am becoming more disciplined in avoiding foods with high glycemic indexes as well as empty calories. I have been eating more consistently and monitoring/controlling my typical 5lb weight fluctuations.
Today is the last official run club clinic before our race. We will be tapering with a 4K steady run. This morning I had a sick client which meant I could squeeze in a workout. Short on time and with a run planned, I busted out a HIIT 12:00 workout which looked like this.

Max Intensity Max Reps:
Core Trio 30:10 x 6 = 4:00 x 2 sets
Dueling Set Compound Lower 20:10 x 8 = 4:00
Squat Side Leg Lifts vs. Reverse Row High Kick L/R
I busted out 570 reps in 12:00. Not bad. I was jello when I was done and I love that.

After my very difficult run last week, I have been thinking a lot about nutrition and how it could potentially hold me back on race day. This is frustrating! Typically it is strength or endurance that limits performance- to feel so strong then suffer hypoglycemic symptoms was deflating. I am on a mission to be race ready in 6 days!

Last week a nutritionist came to speak to my clinic- Winsome Dewar of Healthy Options in Mississauga. Winsome is a holistic nutritionist who speaks about "food from nature" which resonates with me. What I found very insightful about her presentation was the idea that combinations of foods (carbs:fat:proteins) can affect the release of glycogen which stabilize blood sugar. Protein slows the release of glycogen from carbohydrates. On race day this is important. I want my pre-race meal to release slowly, fueling my run steadily. To achieve this Winsome recommends I increase my portion of yoghurt (protein) with my oatmeal as well as increase the overall portion size. She also recommends a smoothie (protein/carb- yoghurt/fruit/flax) 30 minutes before the race and I will take her advice.

The other really interesting thing that I learned from Winsome is that the body stores only 1800 calories of glycogen in the muscles and the "fresher" the store of glycogen the more bioavailable it is for metabolising. So what does that mean? Pre-race week I am "flushing" my glycogen stores by reducing the carbs I am eating as I taper in run distance, while increasing my protein and fat (slightly). I will carbo load on Thursday/Friday and Saturday I am planning a bean salad pre-race dinner.

Here is my menu for the week so far:
Monday:
  • Coffee (I skipped breakfast- bad... trained all morning)
  • Fresh Homemade Onion Soup (mid morning)
  • Cheese & crackers
  • 1/2 piece of homemade bread with egg salad
  • 1/2 piece of homemade bread with butter
  • 1/2 can tuna with homemade mayo, pickled veggies
  • Dinner: chicken, quinoa/lentil/rice blend, bean sprouts, raw veggies with mayo, tomato/cucumber/zucchini salad, cottage cheese, fried zucchini & mushroom. This was a huge serving- see photo below.
  • Lots of water of course!
Monday was a bit low in calories I think, but I am on a taper.

Tuesday (so far)
- Coffee
- Avocado on 1/2 piece of homemade bread with tomato & cream cheese, tomato/cucumber/zucchini salad
(Workout)
- 2 cups Banana yoghurt smoothie 
- 2 scrambled eggs with cheese & tomato slices
- Lots of water of course

I keep eyeballing the fresh loaf of homemade bread on my counter, but I keep telling myself it is only a few days :)


I was starving a couple of hours post workout and this is what I ate before run club- again higher in protein and low on carbs. That is a quinoa/lentil/rice mixture and this plate is 1/2 the size of the plate above.

After run club I was starving again and picked at some pimento chicken chunks that the kids had for dinner. I probably ate an entire chicken breast over the course of the day. Hanging with a couple of friends I busted out another hour in the gym just messing around and adding up the reps. It was a crazy day with 2 solid workouts + a 4K run- 5:19 average pace and clocking 4:30's- fast.

I'll keep logging my food plan as well as I can this week. I know there are many of you approaching races this weekend and next so take some insight and have a strict pre-race nutrition week- leave comments below!


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kate's Guide to Getting the Correct Sports Bra!

I wear an unusual size and it took me years to unlock the secrets to bra fitting (and finding!) I suffered for years in improperly fitting bras, and during exercise I would wear 2 or 3 just to get the support I needed.  E very woman needs support while performing sports; not having proper support means that there is extra stress put on the back during various activities. Even low-impact exercise s done without the support of a sports bra can result in strain on the upper back and shoulders that can result in pain or worse- injuries that may develop over time. Sports bras affect a woman’s posture. Exercising without support can result in slouching to prevent painful bouncing which throws the back and hips out of alignment and impedes form, leading to potential injury. The most common mistakes are when women wear a bra that is too small in the cup and too loose around the body for example a 38e instead of a 36f. Note: When you go down a band size, go up a cup! Step 1: T

I don’t have a Diastasis- Why is my abdomen still distended postpartum?

I get asked this question all the time! Here is my answer: Research has shown that 100% of pregnant women will develop some degree of diastasis recti. A diastasis is a lateral separation in the abdominal wall between the recti or “six pack”, due to a stretching of the midline connective tissue or “linea alba”. Although some diastasis will heal postpartum, in many cases a separation will remain without restorative exercise. Distention from DR will present as a doming in the midline. Women who heal a diastasis spontaneously or through restorative exercise may still find that their abdomens are distended, particularly after a meal and/or at the end of the day. If there is no diastasis, why is this? This abdominal distention does not occur in the midline, but rather across the entire abdominal wall. This is due to a weakened hypotonic TVA- transverse abdominis muscle. The TVA is the deepest anterior abdominal muscle, wrapping around the midsection like a girdle, with a left an

BulletProof Coffee

I have a client who regularly makes us a cup of BulletProof coffee before our workouts. I have come to enjoy its flavor. BulletProof Coffee is simply black coffee blended in a blender (not mixed with a spoon), with clarified grass fed butter (Ghee) and a medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) oil (Coconut oil works). Apparently there are benefits to brain function by blending healthy fats with your morning coffee. Also it has ketonic diet sympathies, as the fasted body in the morning continues burning healthy fat as energy, reducing hunger and helping with weight management. This is my understanding, anyway. I find it tasty and it perks me up :) Interested in making this for myself, I went to Amazon looking for products. Here is what I found- typical of protein powders and health food supplements, I found a lot of packaging and marketing. This BulletProof coffee package which costs $75.99 for coffee and some hyped up coconut oil? Then there is this Ghee at $57.99. As I added thes