Skip to main content

Hello Fresh- An Option for Healthy Meal Planning!

I had an opportunity to try a food delivery service called Hello Fresh. A lot of people have been talking about it and it is becoming a popular option for people who are too busy to shop and plan for meals. It is a much cheaper and healthier option to eating out.  Most meals cost approx $12 per person and the portions are generous.


I am always nervous about subscription services, and in order to redeem the coupon I was gifted I had to signup with payment information. I reviewed the cancellation policy which seemed very uncomplicated. Further to, I can skip weeks as I choose, pausing my subscription. It seemed fair.


My resident kitchen helper Ben volunteered to blog about the meal preparation. Ben is a fantastic creative cook and hobby chef. As we have prepared more Hello Fresh meals he has “beefed up” the ingredients to make extra portions from the same recipe, as well as kid friendly (plainer) versions. Here is Ben’s review of our first Hello Fresh Meal, a Pork Schnitzel.


We received our first Hello Fresh delivery. The food pairings are on point and the recipes are simple. The packaging is well done but there is a lot of it.  My first attempt was the pork schnitzel. The schnitzel was a very large portion and very good quality. It was a locally sourced, free range organic fed pork loin.  I decided to copy this recipe with what was in the kitchen (since I was already getting cutting boards and bowls dirty) and to share it with the family.


Salad: Not everyone loves dijon mustard or apples in their salads so I made an alternate Caesar salad with nappa cabbage, romaine and shredded carrot. 

Pork Prep: I used a pork tenderloin cut in 1 inch rounds. I covered it with saran wrap and flattened them using a pot.
Bonus Additional Breading: I always make bread in the bread maker and because it has no preservatives it gets stale after 3 days. If the oven is already on I will toast up so there are usually  bread crumbs and croutons on hand.  Add a pinch of Italian seasoning and a garlic powder to the breadcrumbs.

Cooking: Instead of using olive oil which I find can make food soggy, I used Ghee- clarified butter with a higher smoke point. Although not great on toast it is great for cooking!  I also put a few sprigs of thyme in the oil when I was warming up pans. I cooked them in two batches because you never want an overcrowded pan. Your food steams and gets soggy when its too close, or you shock the pan with too many cold ingredients at once. As for side dishes, sauteed cabbage, onions, and carrots in white wine parsley cream sauce along with leftover garlic mashed potatoes. 

Unfortunately it was eaten before a photo was taken. It took more than the advertised 30 minutes, but I did embellish the recipe. It looked just like the recipe photo :)  It was a great sit down dinner with Kate’s niece Stephanie who we have been encouraging to eat better, and inspire cooking as a hobby.

I think Hello Fresh provides a simple solution for people who are struggling with balanced eating. They offer simple creative flavorful recipes which can be an ongoing strategy for a healthy food plan, or simply a way to inspire creative cooking with some direction! We are on week 2 already :)
More blogs to come on these meals!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don’t have a Diastasis- Why is my abdomen still distended postpartum?

I get asked this question all the time! Here is my answer: Research has shown that 100% of pregnant women will develop some degree of diastasis recti. A diastasis is a lateral separation in the abdominal wall between the recti or “six pack”, due to a stretching of the midline connective tissue or “linea alba”. Although some diastasis will heal postpartum, in many cases a separation will remain without restorative exercise. Distention from DR will present as a doming in the midline. Women who heal a diastasis spontaneously or through restorative exercise may still find that their abdomens are distended, particularly after a meal and/or at the end of the day. If there is no diastasis, why is this? This abdominal distention does not occur in the midline, but rather across the entire abdominal wall. This is due to a weakened hypotonic TVA- transverse abdominis muscle. The TVA is the deepest anterior abdominal muscle, wrapping around the midsection like a girdle, with a left an

Kate's Guide to Getting the Correct Sports Bra!

I wear an unusual size and it took me years to unlock the secrets to bra fitting (and finding!) I suffered for years in improperly fitting bras, and during exercise I would wear 2 or 3 just to get the support I needed.  E very woman needs support while performing sports; not having proper support means that there is extra stress put on the back during various activities. Even low-impact exercise s done without the support of a sports bra can result in strain on the upper back and shoulders that can result in pain or worse- injuries that may develop over time. Sports bras affect a woman’s posture. Exercising without support can result in slouching to prevent painful bouncing which throws the back and hips out of alignment and impedes form, leading to potential injury. The most common mistakes are when women wear a bra that is too small in the cup and too loose around the body for example a 38e instead of a 36f. Note: When you go down a band size, go up a cup! Step 1: T