Skip to main content

Exercise Induced Hypo Glycemia - Another difficult training run



Running is difficult. Improving run performance is more difficult still. This year I ambitiously decided to run 2 half marathons before summer. My Running Room store needed a clinic instructor for The Chilly Half, and since it was the first half marathon clinic in the new store location when asked to do it I took on both clinics. I am always up for a challenge!

I typically don't run much in the summer because of the heat. Last September when I started running again I was training 2 new runners who were building up from scratch. This meant some pretty slow running, but it was good to take time to recondition and inspire new runners. When the Chilly clinic started I was surprised how many people started a bit behind (in my opinion) and so we continued to work up slowly. 

As I approached race day it did not seem practical after months of slow running to tackle a PB on March 4. I decided to run the Chilly Half with my clinic, slow and easy like a training run towards the Mississauga Half in May. As it turned out the race was freezing and I was coming off a bad sickness, resulting in a demoralizing punishing slow run that was honestly quite miserable. Once I recovered I jumped into the LSD's with my Mississauga runners who push my pace, and I have been training fast for the past 6 weeks.

Today we had our pre-race route run of 21.1K- full distance. Building up to this I have been eating with discipline to keep my nutrition really consistent. I tend to be a bit underweight on the best of days and I need a good reserve to pull off a PB. Today I was loaded up with water, gels and although I had a couple of beer last night I was rested and feeling ready to go. 

We ran fast- After a 5:30 warmup pace Wayne and I were running a sub 4:30 to 6:30ish with a ton of time sub 5:00. It was a strong run! By about 15K I began to suffer blurred vision. This has happened to me before when riding intervals on my stationary bike for a long workout, but never on a run- exercise induced hypoglycemia.

Strenuous exercise can cause the levels of glucose, or sugar, in your blood to drop to abnormally low levels. This can cause blurred vision, headaches, shakiness, excessive sweating, heart palpitations and fatigue. To avoid serious long-term effects, you will need to treat low blood sugar promptly.

Because I have experienced this before I knew well enough at the first indication of a symptom to stop and walk- how frustrating! I had already taken a gel at 8K. Clearly I did not eat well enough yesterday and the standard oatmeal/berries/yoghurt/maple syrup & coffee breakfast I had was inadequate. Compound that with a couple of beers adding dehydration and the balance has tipped. Thankfully this was a training run and not race day! Although a little demoralized yet again, I still felt stronger on the last leg than I usually do- the last stretch did not seem quite as agonizingly long and I made it all the way to the end asymptomatic- success. I did have to walk whenever my vision worsened but I sent my running buddies on their way and ran it in alone. I took another gel at 19K to get me through. I hated holding my guys back and finishing behind them after running most of the race together was stinky.

Driving home I was sick in my car. I missed a L turn light and the gentlemen behind me was honking and waving maniacally. I got slowly out my car and approached his. He rolled down his window and I said "I just ran a half marathon. I am throwing up in my car." Then I turned and walked slowly back to my car. Think about that the next time you are impatient on the road :)

After a post run rest, water and a meal I am recovered, left considering what this means for training faster long distance running and of course race day in 2 weeks. I will need to keep the nutrition disciplined with serious extra focus on the entire week before race day. This means serious carbo loading race week, no alcohol the night before, a full 8 hours sleep and gels all the way. This is what training is for and improvements are hard to make. I have run 4 half marathons and I could easily plateau in performance- in fact I may choose to do that someday- but as it stands I am 40 and I am chasing that elusive PB. Wish me luck!

At the end of the day we are all training and we all encounter challenges. Training smart means constantly adjusting program elements to offset imbalances we perceive in an attempt to avoid injury or conditions that not only hold back our training but can put us out for good. Train smart folks! I am trying to also. Improvements do not come easily and they are worth it. It does require attention to detail and quick action at the first sign or symptom. We all struggle to improve and it isn't easy for anyone. That's some consolation and motivation at the same time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate's Guide to Getting the Correct Sports Bra!

I wear an unusual size and it took me years to unlock the secrets to bra fitting (and finding!) I suffered for years in improperly fitting bras, and during exercise I would wear 2 or 3 just to get the support I needed.  E very woman needs support while performing sports; not having proper support means that there is extra stress put on the back during various activities. Even low-impact exercise s done without the support of a sports bra can result in strain on the upper back and shoulders that can result in pain or worse- injuries that may develop over time. Sports bras affect a woman’s posture. Exercising without support can result in slouching to prevent painful bouncing which throws the back and hips out of alignment and impedes form, leading to potential injury. The most common mistakes are when women wear a bra that is too small in the cup and too loose around the body for example a 38e instead of a 36f. Note: When you go down a band size, go up a cup! Step 1: T

I don’t have a Diastasis- Why is my abdomen still distended postpartum?

I get asked this question all the time! Here is my answer: Research has shown that 100% of pregnant women will develop some degree of diastasis recti. A diastasis is a lateral separation in the abdominal wall between the recti or “six pack”, due to a stretching of the midline connective tissue or “linea alba”. Although some diastasis will heal postpartum, in many cases a separation will remain without restorative exercise. Distention from DR will present as a doming in the midline. Women who heal a diastasis spontaneously or through restorative exercise may still find that their abdomens are distended, particularly after a meal and/or at the end of the day. If there is no diastasis, why is this? This abdominal distention does not occur in the midline, but rather across the entire abdominal wall. This is due to a weakened hypotonic TVA- transverse abdominis muscle. The TVA is the deepest anterior abdominal muscle, wrapping around the midsection like a girdle, with a left an

BulletProof Coffee

I have a client who regularly makes us a cup of BulletProof coffee before our workouts. I have come to enjoy its flavor. BulletProof Coffee is simply black coffee blended in a blender (not mixed with a spoon), with clarified grass fed butter (Ghee) and a medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) oil (Coconut oil works). Apparently there are benefits to brain function by blending healthy fats with your morning coffee. Also it has ketonic diet sympathies, as the fasted body in the morning continues burning healthy fat as energy, reducing hunger and helping with weight management. This is my understanding, anyway. I find it tasty and it perks me up :) Interested in making this for myself, I went to Amazon looking for products. Here is what I found- typical of protein powders and health food supplements, I found a lot of packaging and marketing. This BulletProof coffee package which costs $75.99 for coffee and some hyped up coconut oil? Then there is this Ghee at $57.99. As I added thes