Skip to main content

Friday the 13th Workout & some pretty healthy take-out!

Tonight's workout involved 3 buddies trying a new combo that we borrowed from BodyRockTV. Using a Lebert placed on its side we mounted pike. Here's the combo:

50:10 work rest x 3 exercises maximum reps maximum effort


1. Pike Jump Side to Side, Jump to Plank, Reptile L/R, Jump to Side in Pike. Repeat
2. Pike Jump Side to Side, Jump to Plank, Knee Tuck L/R, Jump to Side in Pike. Repeat
3. Pike Jump Side to Side, Jump to Plank, Jump to center, Jump to Center, Jump to Side in Pike. Repeat

Here are the numbers. Not bad at all for a new combo. It was also Rob's first calisthenic plyometric set and he really held his own. I did a 202 rep workout, 62 of which were plyo, 140 were straight strength.

Before we hit the gym we took a Friday twilight journey in Toronto's west end for some take out. Ali Baba's at Dundas/Roncesvalles has been a favorite place of mine since the early 1990's. I was thrilled upon my return to Toronto (after a 7 year move to BC) to find that it was still open. Better still they have 6 locations now, although I cannot attest to the quality of any other than my Dundas/Ronces original spot. For $30 we walked away with a monstrous schwarma plate, vegetarian plate, 2 schwarma sandwiches, 6 falafel balls and 2 pitas- hey you have to buy for your friends when you are going somewhere golden like Ali's. We had enough willpower to workout first using that delicious meal (and a beer!) as the carrot of motivation. I swear this is about as close to healthy take out as you can get. We buffeted the 2 plates between 3 people post workout and had leftovers enough for for 2 more meals today. Healthy AND inexpensive, plus a great place that is well managed and worth the drive from Mississauga- yes I DID mention that I drove ALL that way for their amazing food and perhaps it affected my portion sizes :) At least it WAS true!

Today I helped out at the Bump to Toddler show in Mississauga with Core Expectations. It was great to see Sam, I do not get to see her enough- we are both so busy! I do enjoy getting out and talking to women and new moms about health and fitness. Of course we offered our free diastasis recti assessments on site- what a great value to have a free core assessment! I also had the opportunity to talk shop with Julia Di Paola of Physio Excellence who gave me some great feedback regarding my posture and pelvic alignment. I will blog more about this later as I digest the information and practice applying it to my daily posture and my run form. I also talked with Kim Vopni- The Fitness Doula, who is another colleague of mine that I could easily spend days locked in a room with picking her brain for insight. All in all it was an excellent event, although today's turnout in attendance I would say was a bit disappointing.

Tomorrow I have a 16K run at 8:30AM. I am also planning a mini workout tonight- if I can make it happen I'll post the results.

Lastly, I just released my first Newsletter for the year so give a read and take some inspiration I hope!

Happy Saturday Folks!

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing information. Wonderful blog & good post. It’s really helpful for me, waiting for a more new post. Keep Blogging!

    Regards,
    Post-natal trainer in Birmingham

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kate's Guide to Getting the Correct Sports Bra!

I wear an unusual size and it took me years to unlock the secrets to bra fitting (and finding!) I suffered for years in improperly fitting bras, and during exercise I would wear 2 or 3 just to get the support I needed.  E very woman needs support while performing sports; not having proper support means that there is extra stress put on the back during various activities. Even low-impact exercise s done without the support of a sports bra can result in strain on the upper back and shoulders that can result in pain or worse- injuries that may develop over time. Sports bras affect a woman’s posture. Exercising without support can result in slouching to prevent painful bouncing which throws the back and hips out of alignment and impedes form, leading to potential injury. The most common mistakes are when women wear a bra that is too small in the cup and too loose around the body for example a 38e instead of a 36f. Note: When you go down a band size, go up a cup! Step 1: T

I don’t have a Diastasis- Why is my abdomen still distended postpartum?

I get asked this question all the time! Here is my answer: Research has shown that 100% of pregnant women will develop some degree of diastasis recti. A diastasis is a lateral separation in the abdominal wall between the recti or “six pack”, due to a stretching of the midline connective tissue or “linea alba”. Although some diastasis will heal postpartum, in many cases a separation will remain without restorative exercise. Distention from DR will present as a doming in the midline. Women who heal a diastasis spontaneously or through restorative exercise may still find that their abdomens are distended, particularly after a meal and/or at the end of the day. If there is no diastasis, why is this? This abdominal distention does not occur in the midline, but rather across the entire abdominal wall. This is due to a weakened hypotonic TVA- transverse abdominis muscle. The TVA is the deepest anterior abdominal muscle, wrapping around the midsection like a girdle, with a left an

BulletProof Coffee

I have a client who regularly makes us a cup of BulletProof coffee before our workouts. I have come to enjoy its flavor. BulletProof Coffee is simply black coffee blended in a blender (not mixed with a spoon), with clarified grass fed butter (Ghee) and a medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) oil (Coconut oil works). Apparently there are benefits to brain function by blending healthy fats with your morning coffee. Also it has ketonic diet sympathies, as the fasted body in the morning continues burning healthy fat as energy, reducing hunger and helping with weight management. This is my understanding, anyway. I find it tasty and it perks me up :) Interested in making this for myself, I went to Amazon looking for products. Here is what I found- typical of protein powders and health food supplements, I found a lot of packaging and marketing. This BulletProof coffee package which costs $75.99 for coffee and some hyped up coconut oil? Then there is this Ghee at $57.99. As I added thes